Environmental Regulation & Pollution Control.
This directorate is responsible to ensure that environmental degradation is prevented and remedial measures are proposed where degradation occurs. It also develops regulations, guidelines and procedures aimed at promoting better environmental sustainability of developmental activities.
The Department’s main functions include:
- Coordinating activities related to formulation and setting up of environmental regulations and standards.
- Coordinating enforcement activities including overall supervision of environmental auditing and inspection activities
- Ensuring regulatory compliance and environmental management conditions are being adhered to and proposing appropriate enforcement action in cases of non-compliance.
- Preparing inspection and audit plans, methodology and procedures
- Preparing procedures and safeguards for the prevention of accidents which may cause environmental degradation and evolving remedial measures where accidents occur.
- Coordinating the development of programs for prevention and control of pollutants including hazardous substances and wastes
- Environmental Impact Assessment General Guidelines.